The Diocesan Archive of Conversano consists of a collection of manuscripted documents.
The oldest parchments originate from the Monastery of St. Benedict in Conversano (occupied by monks from the Xth century until 1266 and by nuns from 1266 to 1810) where they have been zealously preserved to defend the monastery’s nullius jurisdiction. As a result, the monastery was placed under the authority of the Holy See in lieu of the local bishop’s.
The parchments dating back to 901 and 1266 were edited by Morea (The Chartularium, Montecassino 1892) and Coniglio (XXth Diplomatic Codex of Bari, Bari 1975), while those from 1266 to 1499 were edited by Muciaccia (XVIIth Apulian Diplomatic Codex, Trani 1935). More than 400 parchments (1270-1935) remain unedited; their descriptive summaries will soon be made available.
The prevalently manuscripted documentation includes the highly valuable series of notary protocols in 278 volumes (second half of the 1400’s to the first half of the 1700’s). The series is divided into the following sub-categories, as listed in the left menu.
To underscore the enormous value of the ADC collection seems entirely superfluous when considering the historical-religious, urban-architectural, juridical-economical aspects as well as other areas of research. Equally deserving of note is the remarkable beauty of some of the collection’s miniated documents.